During the Merovingian period, the region consisted only of marshland or land encroached by the sea. This receded over time, leaving the marshes covered by sand and dunes. The Garennes, or warrens, of Cucq and Trépied are the result of the sea’s retreat over hundreds of years. Broken up by the wind at low tide, sand from the tidal flats built up along the coast to form shoreline dunes.
In the fifteenth century, the port of Trépied on the banks of the River Canche was home to some thirty fishing boats. 150 men made their living from the sea, their hauls supplying the markets of Amiens, Abbeville and Beauvais. In 1837, Jean-Baptiste Daloz purchased the warrens of Cucq and Trépied. In 1855, Mr Daloz and his son-in-law Mr Rigaux planted young pines and in 1858 the two men decided to divide the estate. Mr Daloz took 1,250 hectares (the territory of present-day Le Touquet) and Mr Rigaux’s portion came to form the estate of Stella.
The early part of the twentieth century was marked by the establishment of one of the biggest housing developments in France: STELLA. The foundation of Stella-Plage was planned for the period from 1914 to 1920, but this was postponed by the advent of the First World War.
In the face of a reduced budget, Messrs Labrasse and Poulain established the Association Syndicale Libre des Propriétaires de Stella-Plage (a syndical association of landowners) in 1921 in order to enable the development of the resort.
In 1925, Stella-Plage was officially classified as a “Health Resort” which was to lead to the creation of the first tourist promotion office in 1930. From this period onwards a number of installations came into being. Every season saw increasing numbers of holidaymakers converge on the resort, owners and renters alike.
The municipality suffered much in the Second World War. With the restoration of peace, the reconstruction of homes and businesses was begun.
In 2000, the municipality’s population passed the 5,000 mark. Today it stands at 5,300… and 30,000 in the summer.